Sunday, October 26, 2014

Diet

Theoretically, there are many different diets that sugar gliders can eat.  Personally, I follow the diet that was recommended/endorsed by Pocket Pets.  This diet includes pellet food, vitamins, “Glider Gravy”, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, and sometimes yogurt.  The reason that my sister and I chose to put our sugies on this diet is because it is an all-around healthy diet, is odor-free, and is easily accessible to get my hands on. 


The main food source that my sugies eat is pellet food.  I buy the pellet food straight from the Pocket Pets website in a combo package along with the vitamins.  The Pocket Pets pellet food and vitamins costs about $3.50 per month, which in comparison to other kinds of animal food is very inexpensive. 

The Pocket Pets Food & Vitamins



Along with a daily fresh source of pellet food, I give my sugar gliders a serving of fresh fruit (or sometimes vegetables) every night.  Tinki and Telly’s favorite fruit treat is by far green grapes.  Since Tinki and Telly are so small, I dice up the fruit that I give them and serve it to them in a second food dish.  Every other night (as directed by Pocket Pets), I sprinkle their vitamins on top of their fruit.  I put it on their fruit to make sure that they are consuming it as they love their nightly fruit treats.  Before I give my sugar gliders anything new fruit or vegetable to eat, I research it to make sure that it is sugar glider safe.

This is how I chop up the fruit/vegetables that I give Tinki and Telly.



In addition to the regular servings of pellet food and fruit/vegetables, I will sometimes give my sugar gliders plain yogurt.  They go absolutely crazy for it!  I will also mix in some powdered “Glider Gravy” which is another Pocket Pets product that provides additional vitamins and minerals.
This picture shows the powdered "Glider Gravy".



As for liquids, I give my sugar gliders a 50/50 combination of water and 100% apple juice.  I give them this combination, rather than plain water because the apple juice provides extra sugar for energy as well as sensory appeal.  I do not believe that my sugies would stay as hydrated as they are if they only had plain water because they (as all sugar gliders do) love sweet things.  I give them their water/apple juice in a typical “rodent” water bottle, attached to the outside of their cage.

The exact water bottle that I use for Tinki and Telly.



1 comment:

  1. It's highly important that sugar gliders maintain a nutritious diet, because they are active animals with a high metabolism. And when raised in captivity, a diet with immense amount of protein is recommended. I hope you're balancing her diet in between the pellets and the fresh fruits well, Sandra. Take care!

    Sherri Briggs @ The Pet Glider

    ReplyDelete